Monday, August 18, 2014

Rubbish Tuesday #16

All of the permanent structures at the fair are old. 



Including this section of stables. I think they will need new roofs soon.


This is the grand stand entrance. Built in 1927.


This is the entrance to one of the horse barns. Old doors freshly painted.


These are even older stables. Not too many were occupied. Most selected the newer old models.


This building housed merchants. We went in to look at the western jewelry, but we didn't find anything we couldn't live without. It is in very good condition. I like the architecture.





This is the arched doorway we went through as we were leaving. That's JD walking ahead. I'm always lagging behind taking pictures. He says he fits perfectly in a post about all things old.


Thanks for stopping by. I hope you will join in the fun.

My idea was to have a place to post 'old things'.  Anything old and/or deteriorating such as old houses, barns, outbuildings, old cars, rusty things, antiques, interesting junk, or it can be something in pristine condition, but just old. 


1. Link to a post featuring photos of something old.
2. Link back to Rubbish by Roan in your post.
3. As time allows, visit other participants and comment on their posts.


24 comments:

Tom said...

The stone-work is wonderful! Have a great week. Tom The Backroads Traveller

Hootin Anni said...

All interesting...but I think the interior of the old stables with the wooden stalls stands out as best today.

I can almost smell the odors that come along with horse stables/barns. An odor I LIKE. Am I strange?

Rose said...

Your husband is funny...I guess when it comes down to it, I would fit the category, too.

I love that arched doorway...and the windows up top on the one building that housed the merchants.

Imagine all the work it took to build everything there...

TexWisGirl said...

laughed at jd. :) liked the old stables and doorways and details you shared. :)

EG CameraGirl said...

Jd is funny to suggest he fits right in! :)) I do love the details in the old architecture.

Sharon Wagner said...

I can't believe the Fair starts this week. I wish I could rewind summer.

Anonymous said...

WHat lovely old structures!

Debby Ray said...

Wow...really beautiful architecture in these buildings! You never find that "personality" in buildings they build today!

Jenn Jilks said...

I know what you mean about lagging behind!
Usually, I stall my walking, and hubby stops and I get him right in the middle of the photo!
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

A Colorful World said...

LOVE the older buildings! The horse stables, etc were all just wonderful! Great photography! And great Tuesday Rubbish post! (your hubby's comment was a hoot!)

Halcyon said...

What fabulous old barns!!! I love the architectural details. So European. :)

Anonymous said...

What lovely buildings you have at your State fairgrounds! Your JD is a hoot!

Lindy

Ginny Hartzler said...

These fair buildings are not the normal, they are lovely and have good design! Your first shot of the stables is great! The way the lines are on the roofs...if you look awhile it looks like different things and you can't tell what is what!

LV said...

Every October, there is a big fair in Dallas. I do not go anymore, as it is not like it used to be.

Maude Lynn said...

I love the stone work!

Anonymous said...

I look at these pictures and I feel like I am at the Missouri State Fair grounds! Lovely stone work. Love the arched doorway.. if I make it tomorrow you will see why.. :)

Brian King said...

That's been around a long time! I do like the old stables. I see what you mean about the roof on several, though.

Gail Dixon said...

I like the old stables and the stone work. Very nice photos. Thanks for the tour!

June said...

Enjoyed all the pics, but especially the one shot through the arch.

Felisol said...

I agree. Great architecture.
Far too often I buy a souvernir, just for memory, and place in a drawer, where it is forgotten. The pictures of the great stables and market reminds me of the school both my Dad and I attended for 7 years. It was built in 1926 and 1936. I've got to search for a suitable picture. My little hometown in Norway had an American factury as a corner stone, and architecture from the 1920-es was very Amercian influenced.

Stephanie said...

I love the old stone work.

Diana said...

Lovely photographs, Roan. Thanks for hosting the party--I love sharing old, chippy, rusty things :)

sonia a. mascaro said...

Great photos!
I am glad I found your blog! :)

Tanya Breese said...

i love all of these!!